The Kamaru Usman–Gilbert Burns UFC welterweight title fight is not happening on Dec. 12 after all, sources said Monday.
The previously reported UFC 256 main event has been postponed due to Usman needing more time to recover from undisclosed injuries, sources said.
The UFC has already explored the possibility of Stipe Miocic versus Francis Ngannou for the heavyweight title becoming the new main event, but that appears to be a long shot at the moment, sources said.
UFC officials also have discussed Jorge Masvidal versus Colby Covington for that card, but that fight is far from a done deal, sources said.
This is the second time Usman versus Burns has been canceled. The first time came a little over a week before they were scheduled to fight at UFC 251 in July when Burns tested positive for COVID-19. As a result, Masvidal took the title fight on short notice and was ultimately defeated via unanimous decision by the champion, Usman.
Amanda Nunes versus Megan Anderson for the women’s featherweight title is already booked for the card.