Cape Town and Dubai Sevens called off due to coronavirus

Rugby

The Dubai and Cape Town rounds of the 2020/21 World Sevens Series have been scrapped due to the coronavirus pandemic, World Rugby said on Wednesday.

The global governing body said it would continue to focus on delivering the remainder of the 2021 series, with a working group formed to review contingency plans and evaluate preparations for the sport’s safe return.

The Dubai and Cape Town rounds had been scheduled for Nov. 26-28 and Dec. 4-6 this year.

“After a comprehensive consultation process it has been decided that the combined men’s and women’s Dubai and Cape Town round will not take place,” organisers said in a statement.

“The decisions were taken in line with relevant government and international public health authority advice and with the health and wellbeing of the rugby community and the wider public taking precedence.

“Both hosts are due to return to a full series schedule beyond this season.”

New Zealand were awarded the men’s and women’s World Sevens Series titles after World Rugby cancelled the rest of the 2020 season last month because of the novel coronavirus outbreak.

Articles You May Like

The Clippers are committed to the Kawhi experience — for better or worse
India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: When And Where To Watch Live Telecast, Live Streaming
Gators top 2 receivers among those out vs. FSU
Fernando Alonso ‘very impressive’ in first Aston Martin outing, says team principal Mike Krack
Who passes, who fails? Grading all 32 NHL teams at the quarter mark of 2022-23

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *